Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Brooks' Sweet Onion Tart


I am cooking my very first Thanksgiving meal at my house this year - WOO FREAKING HOO!  This has been a dream so needless to say, I am pretty excited.  I really want to incorporate recipes and traditions from my family and this onion tart is one of them.  My aunt really goes all out on Thanksgiving and I will be serving up some of her best dishes from over the years but this tart has always been a staple.  It's actually from a local specialty store called Foodstuffs in the northern suburbs of Chicago and the only dish she doesn't make from scratch.  They couldn't ship them to me on the West Coast but they were kind enough to share the recipe. 

Brooks’ Sweet Onion Tart
Serves approximately 6-8
Ingredients :
Spanish Onions 1 lb
Unsalted Butter 1 Tbsp
Brown Sugar 1/2 cup
Baby Swiss Cheese, Shredded 1 cup
Eggs, Beaten 1 cup
Heavy Cream 3/4 cup
Pie Shell, Pre-Baked 1 each
Puff Pastry Sheets 1 each
Directions:
Preheat oven to 350. Slice onions 1/4” thick. In a sauce pan, add butter and cook onions.
Add brown sugar and caramelize onions. In a separate bowl, add beaten eggs and cream.
Add cooked caramelized onion mixture to egg mixture and blend. Add all ingredients into
the pre-baked pie shell. Bake in a 350 oven for approximately 60-90 minutes until set.
Slice puff pastry sheets into 1/2” ribbons. Place on baked tart in a lattice (criss-cross)
form. Place back into the oven for another 8-10 minutes until pastry is golden brown.

Share/Save/Bookmark

3 comments:

Unknown said...

This just looks wonderful!

althea said...

Thanks for sharing this post. I got some importatnt tips here. And I really love cooking. Thanks for sharing your recipe, too.

carpet cleaning perth, carpet cleaning north fremantle, carpet cleaning nedlands,

Unknown said...

Thanks for the recipe, it looks like a pizza.

__________________
Gentist Geelong