Monday, December 22, 2008

Momma Shaw's Beef Tenderloin

Hands down my favorite meal of the year is the one my mom cooks on Christmas. Nothing beats a slice of perfectly cooked peppered beef tenderloin smothered in Bearnaise. Yum. This year, I'll be joining my boyfriend's family for Christmas so I will miss this delicious feast. However, I've decided to recreate this dinner for some close friends in early January so all is not lost! The full menu includes a green salad, green beans, wild rice and Parker House rolls.

Some things to mention:
1) Tenderloin is expensive so go to Costco or Sam's Club. The meat there is great and less expensive.
2) You must know the EXACT weight of the tenderloin and calculate accordingly
3) Do not and I mean DO NOT ever open the oven while it is cooking. The rest of the menu needs to be done on the stove top.
4) If you don't serve it with Bearnaise sauce you shouldn't even make it.

Momma Shaw's Beef Tenderloin
1 beef tenderloin, room temperature
2 cups coarse ground black pepper
4 tablespoons oil

Preheat oven to 500 degrees. Pat room temperature beef tenderloin dry. On a sheet of wax paper, pour pepper and spread out evenly. Rub oil on tenderloin and roll and dredge tenderloin in pepper. Coat sides as well. Cook meat 3 minutes per pound. Once time elapses turn off oven and let meat rest in oven for an additional 1 hour and 45 minutes. Meat will be medium rare. DO NOT OPEN OVEN. My mom actually tapes it shut...

Bookmark

Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments: