A couple things:
1) Don't even think about making this with out the skillet
2) Buy 2 ears of corn, grill them until charred brown and cut off the cob
- 2 ears of corn
- 1/2 stick (1/4 cup) cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 jalapenos, fine dice with some seeds
- 1 1/4 cups cornmeal (preferably stone-ground; not coarse)
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups well-shaken buttermilk
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon of bacon lard (optional)
- 2 tablespoons honey
- Special equipment: a 9 1/2- to 10-inch well-seasoned cast-iron skillet
Put oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 450°F. Add butter, lard and oil to skillet and heat in oven until melted, about 5 minutes, then carefully pour into a medium bowl.
Whisk together cornmeal, flour, sugar, jalapeno, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl.
Whisk buttermilk and eggs into melted butter, then stir into cornmeal mixture until just combined. Pour into hot skillet and bake until a wooden pick or skewer inserted in center comes out clean, 15 to 20 minutes. Cool in skillet on a rack 5 minutes.