The Oscars are right around the corner and nothing screams red carpet to me more than gooey melted cheese. That's because I can't think of anything more gratifying than looking at freakishly thin actresses in my bathrobe on my couch snacking on millions of calories of cheese. This recipe by Daniel Boulud (AKA the man) is easy and a crowd pleaser. Happy Oscars.
Warm Camembert with Wild Mushroom Fricassee
- 1/2 cup walnut pieces
- One 8-ounce wheel of ripe Camembert in its wooden box, at room temperature
- 1 tablespoon walnut oil
- 3/4 pound wild mushrooms, trimmed, caps thinly sliced
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 shallot, minced
- 2 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 2 large sage leaves, minced
- Sourdough toasts, for serving
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Spread the walnut pieces on a baking sheet and toast in the oven for about 7 minutes, until lightly browned. Lower the oven temperature to 300°.
- Remove the Camembert from the box and unwrap it. Put the cheese back in the bottom half of the box and set it on a baking sheet. Bake for about 10 minutes, until soft.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat the walnut oil. Add the mushrooms and season with salt and pepper. Cover and cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes. Uncover and cook, stirring, until lightly browned, 3 minutes longer. Add the shallot and cook until softened, 2 minutes. Stir in the parsley and sage; season with salt and pepper.
- Invert the Camembert onto a platter. Stir the walnuts into the mushrooms and spoon over the cheese. Serve with the toasts.