Monday, April 6, 2009

Sausage and Peppers

Last night I was tasked with making a quick dinner for four. We ran into the store and my boyfriend suggested recreating one of my favorite dishes from an Italian restaurant in Chicago, sausage and peppers. This is a very easy dinner to make that is packed with flavor. I buy store bought sausages, usually spicy ones. A meat grinder with casings are on my Christmas list this year. You can cut up the sausages or keep them whole. I like to serve mine over flat noodle pasta drenched in marinara sauce. If I had more time, I would make sauce from scratch but in a pinch store bought can do the trick.

Sausage and Peppers
  • 6 (4 ounce) links sweet Italian sausage
  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • 1 yellow onion, sliced
  • 1/2 red onion, sliced
  • 4 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2 large red bell pepper, sliced
  • 1 teaspoon fresh basil (I love basil so adding more is always good)
  • 1 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 1/4 cup white wine
  1. Place the sausage in a large skillet over medium heat, and brown on all sides. Remove from skillet, and slice.
  2. Melt butter in the skillet. Stir in the yellow onion, red onion, and garlic, and cook 2 to 3 minutes. Mix in red bell pepper and green bell pepper. Season with basil, and oregano. Stir in white wine. Continue to cook and stir until peppers and onions are tender.
  3. Return sausage slices to skillet with the vegetables. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer 15 minutes, or until sausage is heated through.
Serve over pasta with marinara



Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments: