Tarragon Shallot Egg Salad Sandwiches
- 8 large eggs
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped shallot
- 1 1/2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh tarragon, or to taste
- 2 teaspoons tarragon vinegar or white-wine vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, or to taste
- Mayonnaise for spreading on bread (optional)
- 12 slices seedless rye bread or 6 kaiser rolls
- 3 cups tender pea shoots (3 oz) or shredded lettuce
Make egg salad:
Cover eggs with cold water by 1 inch in a 2-quart heavy saucepan and bring to a rolling boil, partially covered. Reduce heat to low and cook eggs, covered completely, 30 seconds. Remove pan from heat and let eggs stand in hot water, covered, 15 minutes. Transfer eggs with a slotted spoon to a bowl of ice and cold water and let stand 5 minutes (to cool). Peel eggs and finely chop.
Stir together eggs and remaining salad ingredients in a bowl with a fork.
Spread some mayonnaise (if using) on bread and make sandwiches with egg salad and pea shoots.