Foie Gras with Date Purée and Pomegranate
yield: Makes 32 hors d'oeuvres
- 1/4 pound Medjool dates (packed 1/2 cup), pitted
- 1/2 cup boiling-hot water
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon pomegranate molasses
- 1 large brioche loaf or challah loaf (1 to 1 1/2 pound)
- 1 (6 1/2-ounces) block foie gras, chilled
Soak dates in boiling-hot water (1/2 cup) in a bowl 10 minutes. Transfer dates with a slotted spoon to a mini food processor or a blender along with 1 tablespoon soaking liquid. Add pomegranate molasses and purée until smooth.
Cut enough 1/4-inch-thick slices from brioche to cut into a total of 32 (1 1/2-inch) squares (without crust).
Broil brioche squares on a baking sheet 4 to 5 inches from heat, turning once, until pale golden, about 1 1/2 minutes total. (Watch carefully; brioche toasts quickly.)
Dip a sharp paring knife in hot water, then dry it and halve foie gras lengthwise. Cut each half crosswise into 16 slices (32 total), dipping and drying knife after each cut. Put each slice as cut on top of a brioche toast, then top with a small dollop of date purée and a few pomegranate seeds.