- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for brushing
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 6 large garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon dried sage
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 cup plain dried bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/3 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1 1/2 pounds ground pork
- 1 pound ground beef
- 8 hero rolls, split
- 3/4 pound thinly sliced provolone cheese
Add the bread crumbs to the bowl with the cheese, eggs, milk, salt and parsley. Add the pork and beef and knead gently until combined. Roll the mixture into 32 meatballs, about 2 1/2 inches each, and arrange them on the prepared baking sheets. Bake for 15 minutes, until nearly cooked through, shifting the pans from top to bottom and front to back halfway through baking.
Gently fold the meatballs into the warm tomato sauce in a pot. Simmer over moderate heat, covered, until cooked through, about 10 minutes.
Wipe off the baking sheets. Set the open rolls on the baking sheets and top both halves with the sliced provolone. Bake for about 5 minutes, until the cheese melts. Spoon the meatballs onto the rolls and top with the sauce. Serve right away.