Sunday, March 2, 2008

Dulce De Leche


I have a habit of biting off more than I can chew both in the office and in the kitchen. This week's project was canning. Yes, canning. And let me tell you that hauling these around the city from the store was tough and my arms are sore.

Each Monday I bring treats to my office. So this week I figured I would give everyone the choice between Dulce de Leche or my Roasted Garlic and Sun Dried Tomato Marinara. This turned out to take up the better half of my day. Go figure.

Dulce de Leche (aka Milk Candy)
1 cup dark brown sugar
1 cup whipping cream
1/2 sweetened condensed milk
I added:
1 teaspoon of nutmeg
3 tablespoons of dark rum

Add rum to pan and let alcohol burn off, about 2 minutes. Add brown sugar and whipping cream to medium heat pan. Whisk for about 5 minutes until mixture reduces to one cup. Add nutmeg and stir in condensed milk.

And, yes, it's that flippin' easy.

Share/Save/Bookmark

3 comments:

Lydia said...

Sounds great, but I want your Marinara recipe too!!!

Anonymous said...

man, it was a labor of love...had to protion out cause i did a big batch but let's just say that there was a lot of garlic, a lot of chianti, a lot of sun dried tomatoes, a lot of tomatoes, a lot of red chili flakes and a lot of basil and oregano... xo lizzie

Anonymous said...

I meant 'hard to portion out'. also, don;t forget the onion and tomato paste! xo lizzie