Sunday, June 8, 2008

Steak Frites with Herb Butter and Creamed Spinach

Men love steak frites. So when I decided to cook dinner for my step dad, I decided that I would recreate a Chicago steak house style dinner that would leave him happy and pleasantly full. After all, it pairs quite nicely with his delicious Cabernet.

I bought two New York strip steaks at the store and made herb butter to serve with it. Right now, we only have parsley and rosemary in the garden. I grabbed a little of each, chopped it up, mixed it with a half stick of butter and scooped it out in a nice ball. Anytime you grill steak please make sure to season generously. There is nothing worst than a great piece of meat with no seasoning. A crime.

I've made these frites a couple times before and it's been a trial and error process. Finally, I figured out how to make them crispy because in the past they have ended up soggy. Just slice them into skinny strips and let them go more than you think in the fryer (I use my wok). They'll be ok. Just watch the color.

Now, on to the creamed spinach. Believe it or not, I have never made creamed spinach before. I have to say that it is easy and a big time crowd pleaser so it's no wonder why it's a steak house staple.

I fried bacon and chopped it up in crispy pieces. I spread evenly on top, covered it with some Parmesan cheese and popped in the oven for a nice crust on top.

Shaw's Creamed Spinach
4 servings
5 slices thick cut bacon
1/4 c. shredded Parmesan
3 spinach bunches (I highly advise on not using frozen spinach but for larger groups (8+) you could do a mix to save $)
1/2 yellow or white onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 c. cream
1 tablespoon flour
2 tablespoon butter

Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees

Fry bacon and set aside. Add butter to pan on medium heat. Add onion and saute for 4-5 minutes until translucent. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add flour and stir until powder disappears. Heat cream in microwave fro 45 seconds and slowly add to pan. Once cream is heated and smooth, add spinach. Cook for 3 minutes.

Chop up bacon into small pieces. Pour spinach in baking dish. Sprinkle bacon on top and Parmesan on top of bacon. Pop in oven and bake for 8-10 minutes. Serve immediately.
Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments: