Thursday, January 22, 2009

Citrus-Glazed Carrots


This is definitely not the first time I have posted a Lora Zarubin recipe on my blog. My sister and her husband love her cookbook, I Am Almost Always Hungry and have had the privilege of trying her dishes in their family's very own kitchen. Since I have moved to California, I have tried many of her recipes but this is the one I have cook most often in my own kitchen.

I always try to get my hands on baby carrots because I think they look more elegant on the plate for parties, but using medium sized carrots does the trick, too. If you double the recipe make sure to tack on about 10 extra minutes of cooking time.

Citrus-Glazed Carrots
* 2 1/2 pounds medium carrots, peeled, cut on diagonal into 1/4-inch-thick slices
* 2 cups (or more) water
* 1 cup fresh orange juice
* 1/2 cup sugar
* 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
* 2 tablespoons (1/4 stick) butter
* 2 1/2 teaspoons finely grated orange peel
* 2 teaspoons finely grated lime peel
* 1 teaspoon salt
* 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley

Preparation

Combine carrots and 2 cups water in heavy large skillet. Add all remaining ingredients except parsley. If needed, add enough water to just cover carrots. Bring to boil, stirring until sugar dissolves. Boil just until carrots are crisp-tender, stirring occasionally, 8 to 9 minutes. Using slotted spoon, transfer carrots to medium bowl; cool. Boil cooking liquid in skillet until slightly reduced, about 5 minutes. Transfer to small bowl. DO AHEAD: Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover carrots and cooking liquid separately; chill.

Bring reserved cooking liquid to boil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add carrots and boil until just tender and liquid is thickened to light syrup consistency, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer to serving bowl. Sprinkle with parsley.

Bookmark

Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments: