Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Mahi-Mahi with Blood Orange, Avocado and Red Onion Salsa


Sick of root vegetables? Lucky for you, two of my absolute favorite treats are in season. Allow me to introduce you to the blood orange and the avocado.

Don't get me wrong, I love winter's rustic bounty but something about blood oranges and avocados remind me of warmer, sunnier days. This dish looks like something I would eat on a cliff-side restaurant in Mexico. But you don't need to hop a plane to enjoy this recipe, you can make it at home in about 15- 20 minutes and with little effort at all.

Blood oranges are wonderful in salads and in desserts. Sometimes, I'll just peel a blood orange and serve it with pieces of dark chocolate for dessert. Very simple but very good. Also, they are wonderful in bellinis and the juice can be reduced into luxurious sauces for savory and sweet dishes.

Mahi-Mahi with Blood Orange, Avocado and Red Onion Salsa
* 1 blood orange, Cara Cara orange, or regular orange
* 1/2 cup 1/3-inch cubes avocado
* 1/3 cup chopped red onion
* 2 teaspoons minced red jalapeño
* 2 teaspoons fresh lime juice


* 2 teaspoons olive oil
* 2 6-ounce mahi-mahi fillets

Preparation

Using small sharp knife, cut peel and white pith from orange. Working over small bowl, cut between membranes to release segments. Add avocado, onion, jalapeño, and lime juice to oranges in bowl; stir gently to blend. Season salsa to taste with salt.

Heat oil in heavy medium skillet over medium-high heat. Sprinkle fish with salt and pepper. Add fish to skillet and sauté until brown and cooked through, about 5 minutes per side.

Place 1 fillet on each of 2 plates. Spoon salsa atop fish and serve.

Bookmark

Share/Save/Bookmark

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I made this the other night for the boyfriend's birthday...and wow, what an amazing entree! It was probably one of the best things I've ever eaten, ever...and I even made it :)
Thanks for the recipe...keep them coming!