Monday, January 19, 2009

Salt House

I had heard a lot about Salt House since we've moved to San Francisco and was very curious to see if it would live up to the hype. My friend Jen and I decided to give it a shot on a Tuesday night. Walking into the space you saw no signs of a faltering economy. The place was packed and the energy was refreshing.

The menu is New American but also includes a classic Canadian treat, Poutine. You really can't go wrong with putting cheese and gravy over fries especially if that gravy is made from short ribs. But the dish was a disappointment and I wished the cheese sauce they made was more pungent. The flavors just meddled together and I really wish they hadn't. We were on a budget (who isn't these days) so we ordered the house wine and shared the poutine and a salad. The waitress gave us that look that screamed I-am-not-going-to-make-any-money-from-you-and-you-are-wasting-my-time and needless to say the service was sub par after that. But our green bean salad was excellent and both dishes ended up being enough food for the both of us.

Bad service really makes or breaks a restaurant for me. The rest of Salt House's menu looked delicious and as much as I would love to go back and give the entrees a shot, I don't know if I'll be able to shake the glare we got. I know that glare. I used to give it myself in my college table turning days! So if you go, go with an expense account and maybe they will be a little nicer to you.

Bookmark

Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments: