Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Iceberg Wedge with Warm Bacon and Blue Cheese Dressing

Sorry for the delay Dear Reader, I had a last minute jaunt to Chicago to satisfy my Big Bowl peanut sauce craving!

If I see a wedge salad on a menu, I usually order it. I love the crunch of the Iceberg lettuce, the creaminess of the dressing and the saltiness of the bacon. My uncle once told me that he ordered this salad at a restaurant in Las Vegas and they drizzled maple syrup on top as well. That would definitely be worth trying. I dip my breakfast bacon in syrup anyway so it's not so far fetched.

If you don't want to make your own dressing (which I would recommend) I love Marie's blue cheese dressing that you can buy at the grocery store. I usually find it by the produce and not in the isles. Grab a jar on your next visit.

Iceberg Wedge with Warm Bacon and Blue Cheese Dressing
  • 1 1/2 cups mayonnaise
  • 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
  • 1 tablespoon coarsely ground black pepper
  • 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
  • 1 cup coarsely crumbled blue cheese
  • Buttermilk (optional)

  • 1/2 pound thick-cut bacon, cut crosswise into 1-inch pieces
  • 1 large head of iceberg lettuce, cut into 6 wedges, each with some core attached
  • 1/2 red onion, very thinly sliced

Mix first 4 ingredients in medium bowl. Add blue cheese and stir until well blended. If too thick, thin with buttermilk by tablespoonfuls to desired consistency. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and chill.)

Cook bacon in large skillet over medium heat until golden brown and beginning to crisp. Arrange lettuce on plates. Spoon dressing over. Using slotted spoon, transfer warm bacon from skillet onto salads, dividing equally. Garnish with red onion.


Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments: