Monday, March 16, 2009

Quiche Brunch with Green Salad and Roasted Potatoes

I wanted to host a fuss-free brunch so the first dish that came to mind was quiche. I haven't made a quiche since college so when I went online to refresh my memory on recipe ideas, I was shocked that there were no silver bullet. Some recipes partially baked the crust while others didn't. The ratio of egg to cream (or milk in some cases) was all over the map. I panicked and wondered how this go-to recipe became so difficult over the last 10 years? Then, I had a brilliant thought: Julia Child. Of course she would know what to do!

I flipped through my first edition of Mastering the Art of French Cooking and found a Quiche Lorraine recipe and decided to use that and then tweak the recipe to do a vegetarian option with asparagus. Of course the dish turned out perfectly but it did take longer than noted. My quiches baked for 50 minutes until they were golden and puffed. I used frozen pie crusts and partially baked them for 12 minutes at 375 degrees before I poured in the filling. Setting is key so make sure you wait 10-15 minutes before slicing and serving. These are quite rich so one slice per guest was plenty.

Quiche Lorraine
8 slices of bacon (thick cut), cooked and coarsely chopped
3 eggs (or 2 eggs and 2 egg yolks)
1 1/2-2 cups whipping cream or milk (or 1 1/2-2 cups half cream and half milk)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 pinch pepper
1 pinch nutmeg
1/2-1 cup grated swiss cheese
1-2 tablespoon butter, cut into pea-sized dots
8 inches pastry shells, partly cooked

Directions

To partly bake the pastry shell:
Prick thawed crust with fork. Bake in middle of oven at 375 degrees F. for 9-11 minutes.

For filling:.
Cook bacon on medium heat and coarsley chop.
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Place oven rack in upper third of oven.
Beat together eggs, cream, salt, nutmeg and pepper.
Stir in cheese and bacon. Check seasoning.
Pour into pastry shell and distribute butter pieces on top. Place on baking sheet.
Bake 25-30 minutes or til puffed and browned.
Slide quiche onto a hot platter and serve.



Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments: