Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Murray Circle at Cavallo Point


Good job, Drew!

For our 3 year anniversary, Drew blindfolded me, drove me over the bridge and checked us in for a one night stay and foodie excursion at Cavallo Point. The eco-friendly resort and spa opened under a year ago and is located just under the Golden Gate Bridge in Marin. Set in historical Fort Baker, it's home to Michelin star Murray Circle restaurant, a cooking school and spa. Cha-ching! All my favorite things in one place!

After a terrific day at the spa, we got all dressed up and headed down for an 8 course dinner and wine pairing. Executive Chef, Joseph Humphrey (Michael Mina, 5th Floor, Meadowood) features Bay Area cuisine with a French twist and showcases local and organic farms, ranches and culinary artisans in the region. The wine pairings were VERY generous so it's a good thing that you can hop a ride back to your room on a golf cart and leave your car in the parking lot. In addition, the wine pairings featured all Old World wines with the exception of one (a Monterey Pinot). The star of the night was the Domaine de la Cadette La Chatelaine, Vezelay. It was very light and had great minerality.

Of all the courses, the halibut and lobster with squab were my favorite. My Kobe petite filet was too salty but I tasted Drew's and his was perfectly seasoned. After the cheese course, I start to tapper off. I'm not one for desserts or sweet wines but Drew happily polished them off for me with no complaints.

Make sure to grab a drink and/or stay a night a Cavallo Point. We could see our apartment across the bay from our balcony but we felt like we were on vacation and came home relaxed, fat and happy.
Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments: