I follow legendary food writer and editor of Gourmet, Ruth Reichl on Twitter. She always talks about what's she's doing whether it's having tea with her cats of cooking for her son's vegan friend like she was today. This is the recipe she chose to make for her vegan guest and it sounded like a huge hit. I can't wait to try it out for myself.
Warm Tofu with Spicy Garlic Sauce
- 1 (14- to 18-oz) package soft tofu (not silken)
- 1 teaspoon chopped garlic
- 1/4 cup chopped scallion
- 2 teaspoons sesame seeds, toasted (see Tips) and crushed with side of a heavy knife
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon Asian sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon coarse Korean hot red-pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- Carefully rinse tofu, then cover with cold water in a medium saucepan. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat, then keep warm, covered, over very low heat.
- Meanwhile, mince and mash garlic to a paste with a pinch of salt. Stir together with remaining ingredients (except tofu).
- Just before serving, carefully lift tofu from saucepan with a large spatula and drain on paper towels. Gently pat dry, then transfer to a small plate. Spoon some sauce over tofu and serve warm. Serve remaining sauce on the side.