Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Devils on Horseback


Saturday night was spent at Spotted Pig in West Village. I've written about Spotted Pig before as it was one of my go-to spots when I lived in NYC. Several years ago, there was a gastropub revolution and Spotted Pig and Chef April Bloomfield were at the forefront.

One of their most popular dishes is the English classic, Devils on Horseback. These make for a great snack, hors d'oeuvre or accompaniment to a cheese plate.

Devils on Horseback

Yields 4 servings

Ingredients

12 whole pitted dried prunes

1½ cup warm dark tea (soak prunes in tea for 4 hrs)

12 3 mm-thick flat smoked bacon

1 pickled pear (sliced into pieces)

1 teaspoon ground chili powder

Directions

Drain prunes into a bowl and reserve juice. Push pear through center, then wrap stuffed prunes in bacon. Place on an oven tray big enough to hold prunes and drizzle a little of the juice over the top. Sprinkle with chili powder, place under broiler and baste until golden brown and slightly crisp.


Share/Save/Bookmark

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is rather interesting for me to read this article. Thank you for it. I like such themes and anything connected to this matter. I would like to read more soon.

althea said...

Wow! So yummy! I love food. Thanks for sharing the recipe. I'd love to make one.


http://carpetcleaninginperth.net.au/