For the Grilled Tomatoes
- 3 pounds plum tomatoes, cored and halved lengthwise
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme, or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- Salt and pepper
- Heat grill to high. In a bowl, toss tomatoes with oil and thyme; season generously with salt and pepper.
- Starting with cut sides down, grill tomatoes until soft and charred, 8 to 12 minutes per side.
- Return to bowl; cut into rough pieces with kitchen shears
Now, for the pizza!
Grilled-Tomato Pizzettes With Basil and Fontina Cheese
- 1/2 recipe Grilled Tomatoes
- 1/2 pound store-bought pizza dough
- Flour, for work surface
- 1 1/4 cups shredded Fontina cheese
- Fresh basil leaves
- After preparing grilled tomatoes, reduce grill to low. Divide pizza dough into four pieces. On a lightly floured work surface, shape dough into rough 12-inch-long ovals. Alternate between rolling the dough with a pin and stretching it with your hands. If it tears, pinch dough together to patch.
- Place dough on grill. Cook until lightly charred on one side, 3 to 4 minutes; press lightly with a spatula to deflate any air bubbles.
- Flip dough; layer with cheese and grilled tomatoes, dividing evenly. Cover grill; cook until cheese melts and bottoms of crusts are charred, 4 to 6 minutes. Garnish with basil.