Friday, May 30, 2008

DIY Kebab Party

While reading June's issue of Food & Wine magazine, I came across an article by Tina Ujlaki that suggests hosting a DIY Kebab party this summer. Well, Tina, I plan on doing just that! Sounds like a fabulous idea that allows people to prepare their own food to order and makes cooking fun for all ages. I can just see my 6 year old nephew piecing his together with a big grin on his face.

Tina suggests three different menus: Asian, Mexican and Mediterranean. I think most of you can guess that Mexican is my first pick. So, here is the great line up for the Mexican DIY Kebab party that I will throw once I get to California next week.



Mexican Kebabs
Portions will depend on the amount of guests that you plan to have. Cube and portion out skewer-ready sizes and create an assembly line to mix and match. Don't forget to soak your skewers otherwise they will catch on fire!

Shrimp
Chorizo
Zucchini
Pork
Pineapple
Chicken
Yellow and red bell pepper
Red onion
Scallops
Poblanos
Cherry tomatoes
Pickled jalapenos

Tina also suggests serving with a Chipotle-Citrus Mayonnaise


Ingredients
1/2 cup mayonnaise
3 chipotles in adobo, finely chopped
1 tablespoon fresh orange juice
1 teaspoon fresh lime juice
3/4 teaspoon minced fresh oregano
1 tablespoon minced red onion
1 tablespoon minced cilantro
Salt
Directions
In a small bowl, combine all of the ingredients and mix well. Season the sauce with salt.



Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments: