Thursday, July 31, 2008

Honey-Tomato Bruschetta with Ricotta


I am having a huge cocktail party at my house in Napa Valley next week to celebrate the move of my sister and her family and my boyfriend's recent (major) accomplishment of finishing the California Bax Exam. It's going to be a mixed group. Parent's friends, sister's friends and our friends. That means lots of different palates at different ages. Needless to say, I'd like to satisfy them all.

While flipping through Food & Wine poolside today, I came across this recipe and my sister and I decided we should give it a test run. Well, we did. And it's made the lineup. Didn't hurt matters that we used my step dad's stash of fresh honey that he brought back from Mexico in a 1 liter Coke bottle. Lyd suggested that goat cheese would work as a sub and I agree. Fresh ricotta would make a huge difference but I don't have a sieve at my mom's. Well, not yet.

Honey-Tomato Bruschetta with Ricotta

2 pints cherry or grape tomatoes, halved lengthwise
1 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons clover honey
2 teaspoons thyme leaves
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
12 baguette slices, cut 1/2 inch thick on the bias
1 cup fresh ricotta (8 ounces)
1 tablespoon buckwheat or chestnut honey
6 basil leaves, thinly sliced or torn


Directions
Preheat the oven to 300°. Line a large rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. In a large bowl, toss the tomatoes with the olive oil, honey, thyme leaves, salt and pepper. Scrape the tomatoes onto the prepared baking sheet and turn them cut side up. Bake the tomatoes for about 1 hour and 25 minutes, until they begin to shrivel and brown. Let cool.

Preheat the broiler. Spread out the baguette slices on a baking sheet. Broil for about 30 seconds on each side, until the edges are golden brown.

Spread the ricotta over the baguette slices and top with the slow-roasted tomatoes. Lightly drizzle the tomatoes with the buckwheat honey, sprinkle with the sliced basil and serve with additional buckwheat honey on the side.
Share/Save/Bookmark

1 comment:

mph said...

Are you kidding me... can't wait until Saturday!!!