Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Poached Pears with Vanilla Bean Ice Cream


This is a really bad picture of something that is quite fabulous and easy to make, (yes, that's a paper plate...)
Last week, I was watching Thomas Keller (French Laundry, Per Se, need I say more?) do a guest spot on Emeril Live. Now, I am not a big Emeril guy but when I saw that he was guest- hosting a one hour 'braising' segment, I turned up the volume and kicked my feet up. He made braised pears that looked outta this world. The next day, I got my monthly issue of Bon Appetite magazine and there was a great recipe for Poached Pears so I decided to go for it.
Poached pears are easy and for pear lovers they are just heaven. I made some addition to this very simple recipe.
4 cups of water
1 1/2 cups of dark brown sugar
2 cinnamon sticks
1 vanilla bean
I added:
Dark Myers Rum
Mexican Vanilla
Nutmeg
What I would add next time:
Raisins
Peal the pears and cut in halves. Remove core/seeds. Add all the ingredients in a large saute pan and bring to boil. Add pears and let them simmer for 15-20 minutes. Make sure to slice vanilla bean and remove seeds into liquid in addition to adding the whole bean. Take the pears out with a slotted spoon when tender. Reduce liquid into a syrup (about 20-25 minutes) on high heat. Spoon syrup over pears and serve with vanilla bean ice cream.
Yummmmm

Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments: