Thursday, September 13, 2007

Couscous with Chicken


Couscous is my new obsession. It's light and very versatile. During my quick visit to Atlanta, I borrowed an easy and delicious recipe from Ina Garten's staple cookbook, Barefoot Contessa, for a quick dinner with my sister and her husband. Leftovers are just as good if not better. I added chicken breast strips on top to convert it into a light entree.
I subbed Greek yogurt ('cause I would never use any other kind but that's my personal opinion) and I doubled the seasoning and added lots of garlic ('cause garlic is always good...) Don't be turned off by the amount of ingredients. You should have most of these and if you don't, invest, it's worth it!

1 1/2 cups couscous
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
1 1/2 cups boiling water
1/4 cup plain yogurt
1/4 cup good olive oil
1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
1 teaspoon curry powder
1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup small-diced carrots
1/2 cup minced fresh flat-leaf parsley
1/2 cup dried currants or raisins
1/4 cup blanched, sliced almonds (you can buy these pre-made at the store, recommended)
2 scallions, thinly sliced (white and green parts)
1/4 cup small-diced red onion
Place the couscous in a medium bowl. Melt the butter in the boiling water and pour over the couscous. Cover tightly and allow the couscous to soak for 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork.
Whisk together the yogurt, olive oil, vinegar, curry, turmeric, salt, and pepper. Pour over the fluffed couscous, and mix well with a fork. Add the carrots, parsley, currants, almonds, scallions, and red onions, mix well, and season to taste. Serve at room temperature.

What I added:
I sauteed thin chicken breasts (if bought whole just tenderize) and seasoned them with curry powder, sea salt (of course), pepper, and lemon.

Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments: