Tuesday, September 18, 2007

What's in season?

Ever try to buy an avocado in November? Wonder why you can't find corn on the cobb in February? Fall is here and it's time to take advantage of the things that are actually in season instead of out. I have to admit, I don't know my seasonal fruits and veggies as well as I would like to. So, I decided to post this helpful guide I found on Food Network's website as a little crutch for the season. This includes descriptions of fall fruits and veggies and recipes to accompany them.

Fall's line-up includes:
  • Acorn Squash
  • Apples
  • Belgian Endives
  • Butternut Squash
  • Cauliflower
  • Celeriac
  • Figs
  • Garlic
  • Ginger
  • Grapes (hence Napa Valley's current harvest!)
  • Mushrooms
  • Parsnips
  • Pears
  • Pomegranate
  • Pumpkin
  • Quince
  • Sweet Potatoes
  • Swiss Chard

Share/Save/Bookmark

1 comment:

Gidget Girl said...

Thanks Lizzie. That is helpful. I did see that figs were in season yesterday at the grocery store. Yum!