Friday, September 28, 2007

Pancetta Crisps


I love Iron Chef. I get so many ideas from watching how they prepare, plate and serve all of their dishes. It baffles me to think how they pound out 5-7 courses in 1 hour for four people. It would take me about 4. Anyway, on an episode several weeks ago, Bobby Flay made pancetta crisps and added them as a garnish to one of his dishes. My mouth watered and all the judges raved about how adding bacon never hurts a dish. I agree.

That being said, I have started using them in my dishes. The only problem is if you leave them on the counter people will eat them. So make them and then hide them. Seriously.

Pancetta is pork that has been salt cured and dried for about 3 months. Each part of Italy produces its own type so there are a lot of variations. Go to the store and have your butcher slice them for you. Thin but not too thin. Or, at my store, they sell pre-packaged pancetta slices. Those work great, too. All you need is a cookie sheet. Lay out the slices on the cookie sheet and warm the oven to 400 degrees. Put them in the oven for 12 minutes, flipping them every four minutes or so. And that's it!

Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments: