Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Incredible Tortilla Soup

This is my first-ever blog posting... Thanks for the invitation to contribute, Liz - I love your blog! I had several requests for this recipe after serving it in Michigan with the Shaw family, so I feel good about it being my first contribution. It can be made year round, but will be great to have this fall. Plus it's pretty hard to mess up. The only laborious part is the shredding of the chicken, but you can do this in advance if you choose. I don't actually boil the chicken - just cook it on the stove, cool it a bit, and then use the two-fork shredding method. One disclaimer: this tortilla soup does not actually have tortillas in it, but Fritos are added on top, so I guess that takes care of that.

This serves a lot (if you transfer it to a crockpot, it will fill it and then some), but it's great as leftovers. Sorry I don't have a pic...next time!

Ingredients:
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 large yellow onions, chopped
¼ cup vegetable oil
2 (14 ½ oz) cans stewed tomatoes
2 (10 oz) cans Rotel tomatoes... I use the "Milder" cans, which still provide PLENTY of kick!
2 (10 ¼ oz) cans chicken broth
2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
2 (10 ¾ oz) cans Cream of Chicken soup
1 (10 ¾ oz) can Tomato soup
3 cups water
2 tsp. ground cumin
2 tsp. ground chili powder...I use one tsp
1 T. black pepper
4 T. fresh cilantro
* 1.5 lb boiled chicken, shredded
* 1 small bag Fritos
* 1 16 oz tub sour cream
* 1 (8 oz) pkg. grated cheddar cheese
* 2-3 avocados, sliced or cubed (if desired)

Cooking directions (use a large pot):
Sauté onions & garlic in oil. Add all ingredients except those *’ed. Bring to a boil, then add chicken and simmer 1 hour. Top with ‘extras” (remaining ingredients *’ed...these are a must!) and enjoy!!


I also have a great, EASY dip that is a delicious appetizer with Fritos, too. This also went over really well in Michigan and is great on football Saturdays:

In A Crunch Corn Dip

2 (11 oz) cans of mexicorn- drained
1 to 2 (4 ½ oz) cans of chopped green chilies drained very well (I used 2)
2 cups shredded Monterey jack cheese
3/4 cup Parmesan cheese
1 cup mayo (can shave off a bit of mayo if desired)

Heat oven to 350. Combine all ingredients- mix well and place in baking dish.
Bake 30-40 minutes until lightly browned*. Serve with corn chips.
* It's hard for me to tell when this is actually finished baking... it should be kind of "stirrable" but not too goopy...but it's great no matter what!


Hope you enjoy! This is so fun!
Share/Save/Bookmark

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Both sound fab! Can't wait to try!

Chuck said...

Great Post Olivia! I remember this at your Mom's house in L'Arbre Croche. I'm giving it a try.

Missy said...

I always cheat when recipes call for shredded chicken and buy one of the plain rotisserie ones from the grocery store to shred.

mrs.dash said...

if you're looking for something a little lighter (sans cream soup) martha stewart everyday food has a really good tortilla soup. it's more of a lunch for sure, not nearly as hearty, but very delicious. and it actually has tortillas =)